If the database name of an anime, manga, or character contains accents, write it using those accents.
Do not use accents for English words unless the accented form is significantly more common and removing the accents may cause uncertainty in regard to pronunciation.
- Correct: cafe, naive, coup d'etat, fiancée
- Incorrect: café, naïve, coup d'état, fiancee
- Incorrect: Cafe Cinnamon
Occasionally, omitting accents may cause ambiguity. In such cases, the accents should be used.
- Correct: He submitted a job résumé.
- The journalist published an exposé.
- Incorrect: He submitted a job resume.
- The journalist published an expose.
Macrons, which (in an anime and manga context) generally represent long vowels in Japanese romanization, should never be used. If you want to introduce a term with a macron, romanize it according to MAL's romanization guidelines.
- Incorrect: Tōtsuki Culinary Academy, Totsuki Culinary Academy